Tips, tricks, and best practices for throwing amazing events in your Kumospace.
This is your space, so you can make the rules as you see fit. That said, we've discovered that throwing fun events in Kumospace is surprisingly similar to hosting good events in real life.
Kumospace hosts, marked by a , have access to additional features that enable them to do things that their guests cannot. These include:
- Managing space security settings - Choose the name of your space and the appropriate privacy settings.
- Managing chat settings - Choose the chat settings you would like for your guests. Hosts and co-hosts will still be able to use all chat options.
- Managing rooms - Create and delete rooms, close rooms, edit room names, choose templates, copy existing rooms and customize from the profile page.
- Designating co-hosts - Promote your guests to co-hosts to help moderate events.
- Plus: Everything co-hosts can do - See below.
Hosts can appoint co-hosts to help manage events, and share certain host tools with them. Co-hosts, indicated by a star, have access to the following features:
- Broadcast – Share your video and audio with the room you're in or across the entire space. Multiple participants can broadcast simultaneously, and each room can have its own broadcast running simultaneously, perfect for multitrack conferences. Please see our pricing page for more information about advanced broadcasting.
- Present – Share your screen with the rest of the room or across the entire space. Please see our pricing page for more information about advanced presenting.
- Change audio range – Adjust the audio range, represented by the faint circle around you, to one of four options: quiet, normal, loud, entire space.
- Mute participants - Mute unruly guests (they can unmute themselves if necessary).
- Remove participants - Permanently remove disruptive guests from space.
Secure your space
Clicking on the Settings and Privacy button on the top right of the Waiting room in your Kumospace will allow you to change the name of your space, and adjust your Privacy and Chat Settings. Simply choose your preferred options and then click Save:
- Everyone: You can set your Kumospace so that attendees are not required to register with an email to enter.
- Registered Users: This is the default setting. Allowing only registered users to access your space makes it easier to remove misbehaving guests. Note that removing participants is permanent.
- Password protection: Select this option and you will be prompted to choose a password. Only guests with whom you've shared your password will be able to access your space.
- Guest list Access: Select this option and you will be prompted to enter the email addresses of participants who are allowed access to your space. You can enter the email addresses manually, or upload a CSV (comma separated values) file, which allows you to add up to 1000 email addresses at once.
- Closed Space: The final option allows you to prevent access to all attendees except hosts and co-hosts.
Many of these security options are available in our paid plans. Please refer to our pricing page for more information about securing your space.
Choose your chat settings
You can also choose the ways in which your guests use the Chat function, or disable it completely by unticking all of the boxes. Note that no matter which chat option you select, hosts and co-hosts will still be able to message using all methods.
Clicking on the Settings button on top of each room thumbnail will enable you to edit the room name, close the room so only hosts and co-hosts can enter, choose a different template for the room, duplicate or delete the room. You can also add more rooms to your space.
Each room has a default capacity of 30 people. If you would like to increase your room capacity, please contact our sales team.
Closed rooms will appear on the bottom and will only be accessible to hosts and co-hosts.
You can appoint co-hosts to help manage your event, and share some of your host features with them.
Making someone a co-host is simple:
- You both need to be in your space.
- Click on People from the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen, then on the three dots (...) next to their name.
- Select Promote to Co-host.
They will remain co-hosts during all future events in your Kumospace, until you remove their co-host status. To remove co-host status:
- Enter your space with them.
- Click on People, then on the three dots (…) beside their name.
- Select Remove Co-host.
Change audio range
To change the audio range simply click the Settings button and select the best audio range for the moment.
You can choose from four different audio ranges depending on the event you're hosting:
- Quiet – This reduces the radius of participants' spatial audio range. This is a good option for when you have a packed room to help your guests avoid hearing too many conversations at once.
- Normal – This is the default setting and works well with groups of all sizes.
- Loud - This increases the radius of participants' spatial audio range. This is a good option for when you need large groups to be part of a conversation.
- Entire Room – This option gives everyone in the room a megaphone. Everyone can hear everyone else in the room, no matter how far away they are from each other. This is great for large meetings.
Hosts and co-hosts have the option to mute unruly guests. Muted participants can easily unmute themselves if necessary.
To mute someone in your space, click People from the navigation bar at the bottom left of your screen, click on the three dots (...) beside that person's name, and then click Mute.
Hosts and co-hosts have the option to remove misbehaving guests from your space. If you remove someone, they will be permanently blocked from returning to your space. Note that in order to remove a participant from your space, they need to be a registered user.
To remove someone from your space during an event, click the People tab in the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen, then click on the three dots (...) beside their name and select Remove from Space.
Common Host Questions
What is the maximum hosting capacity?
On our free plan, you can host events of up to 30 concurrent participants. If you are planning a larger event, we recommend signing up for our Professional or Custom plans. Please refer to our pricing page or book some time to talk with our sales team.
Can I Make a Recording of an Event?
At this time, no. We prioritize user privacy and data security, and at this time it is not possible for users to record a Kumospace event. If this is important to your event then we suggest you look into Loom, a free app that allows you to record in-browser experiences.
If you have suggestions about how we should build this functionally into Kumospace directly, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are working on developing a number of new features and would love to hear your feedback.
Tips for Hosting a Great Event
- Kumospaces are highly social. The more the merrier 🎉, so invite a group of people.
- Greet them on arrival 👋.
- Give them a tour of your Kumospace. Here are some helpful getting started tips you can verbally share with your guests.
- Introduce them to other guests and encourage them to find a comfortable place to chat.
- Like a host in real life, it's good to check-in regularly.
- And most importantly, enjoy yourself 😃.
Check out our Blog and Best Practice Articles
Kumospace publishes an ever-growing list of great articles and blog posts to help you be a better host. You can use these articles to learn about our favorite games to play in Kumospace, best practices for hosting your first event, and much more!